Thursday, June 21, 2012

Smart

Smart, Havana

Glasses make people look smart. Everyone knows that :)

I have perfect vision. I have contemplated wearing decorative frames with no lenses just for the smart look. I don't think I could pull it off with a straight face ;P To me putting on glasses to read or work is kind of like putting one's thinking cap on.


My sister Maria - one of the smartest people I know - wearing Smart Crystal


The "Smart" frames are actually named after Gyro Gearloose aka Petter Smart in Norwegian. Because when I think of smart people (or comic book characters), I think of him. I am very sophisticated like that :) And Gyro has little round shaped glasses resting on his beak.


Smart, Crystal


And so I figured I would make some round glasses. Also, round is clearly the best shape, it is the shape of the planet, bubbles, our eyeballs, music - well of records anyway - and hugs. And some of the coolest frames of all time are round, from John Lennon to Harry Potter. Round frames are the bees knees :)

Bryan Ferry at Norwegian Wood, wearing Smart Horn

I worked on these for a really long time. I wanted to keep the round shape round, but soften it so that it would fit effortlessly and not have the roundness overpower the features of the face. Getting both sizes to have the same look was trickier than I expected. Just scaling up all the measurements didn't work.


Smart, Horn


"Smart" is available in two sizes, Small and Large and four colors:
- Havana
- Horn
- Beach
- Crystal


Smart, Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment