Friday, June 29, 2012

Kajo Keji

We are finally here! And it is amazing! We landed in Kajo Keji yesterday and were greeted at the airstrip by a crowd singing and dancing and playing instruments. Their bishop was on our plane and was coming back to the area after having been away for three weeks. So even though we weren't the reason they were singing it was still a wonderful welcome :)


A warm welcome :)

We are staying as guests at the MHI compound in the town of Wudu. The area looks like a postcard. Little huts with straw roofs, goats walking around in the fields and children saying "How are you?". This is the rainy season so everything is very green.




Grace took us to the market


The Eyejusters get here tomorrow so today has been a pretty relaxed day. We went into town with Grace and Kristen to exchange some money and visited the Saint Comboni mission. They have set up a sewing shop for local women with looms and sewing machines. They make some really pretty and colorful handbags under the label Lady Lomin (link here). I bought two, but I want to go back and get more.

Beautiful colors


I am trying to vlog while we are here. I have no clue as to how I will edit the footage. I also do not know if I will be able to upload with the internet connection we have here. We will find out... ;)

In other news, I left my DSLR on the plane, so the whole lens mess-up won't matter much :( I got upset for a second and then tried to see the silver lining: I still have my Canon G11, I have never quite gotten around to figuring out how to make it work for me and now I will have to grow to love it. Thankfully the people at MAF found it and are holding it for me until we get back to Kampala.

Lots of love, K

3 comments:

  1. I will make sure you get a similar welcome back home!

    Looks like the trip is going well. Keep up the good work!

    Qandeel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Kirsten, kajo-keji is always a lovely place to visit and the people there got bright faces who glardly welcome everyone into their houses. God bless kajo-keji, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Lars and I have had the best time in KK :) We met so many wonderful, warm, funny and inspirational people.

      Delete